Sunday, March 4, 2007

Is it worth it?

Working at the private college for almost 2 days was a great experience (the staffs are extremely friendly, its great to work with my degree course mate and former lecturer) until I received the offer letter this evening at 4.50pm just bfor the end of working hours. The basic salary is RM700 plus allowance of RM100. And my first pay check will be RM800.

Quite a shock! No wonder the envelope opening was glued like a secret document is inside. I didn’t mean to be ungrateful, but it didn’t make any sense, although I understand they take me as a temp, so I shouldn’t be that demanding. But 800 is just too sad. So I returned the letter to the person in charge, and she said she wanna discuss it with her boss and let me know tomorrow. (I think I have the rights for explanation! Don’t u think so?)

So I went home, feeling down. Along the way (it’s more than 30km trip) I was thinking deep about the worthiness of taking this job. I really don’t think it is worth it. I hv to travel far (more than an hour return trip), it is a full time job which I calculate give me a RM 3.50/hour. Its just pathetic. And I have a master degree! (I had sacrificed a lot to get it, and I feel like it didn’t even taken into account). I feel betrayed; I got the offer letter late (after two days working). Thank God, I haven’t done the medical check up and signed anything yet. I feel quite sad, really2 sad actually,

Alhamdulillah, I have my parents to talk to and give advise, and here to express my feelings.

And now, I’m thinking about tomorrow, few scenarios I’d thought of
1. They wont increase the salary…Ill will definitely pack and go home
2. They will increase it, but after the first month…Erm this is quite hard, but I will say no too
3. They ask me how much I want…A: like I said in the interview more than a K… If they agree, I might take it, erm I dunno, my heart broke real bad
Whatever the result is, definitely Ill pack my things bfor going home tomorrow, And sleep on it after reading yr comments. And make the decision on the next day, to go back or not…

What do u guys think? I wanna hear it from diff perspective
(please take into account, the 800 will be subtractd with money for the 60km trips perday- mayb after deduction I get less than 500 nett - and this times 7 will sum up to 3500 for 7 moths of my temporary job- cant even buy a decent laptop – which is the side objective of me getting a job)

And what do u think the proper salary I should ask for? (pls take into consideration that I’m not demanding, I want to help this bumi institution, but I cant do it (I mean all out) with just 500 net monthly) Or do u think Im demanding? Just say it if it is, I don’t mind

Thank you in advance for yr comment…

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not too demanding for a master holder. Now, I got to think twice if I want to do my master degree as well.

Just rest ..take your time watching football. heheh

H said...

I hd quit...And spendg my time watching football :P
U shouldnt think twice on doing yr Master, that college is new and hv shitty admin, thats why they give that kind of sallary
My master's coursemate who work in an established private college earn more than 3k, however most of these colleges are in KL/selangor

Anonymous said...

Apiss... kalo dh rm800, baik xyah. if u really want da job, want da xperience... ok la. tp kna cr umh sewa area situ. tryla calculate, kalo xlps duit umh sewa, nk mkn lg, byr keta... forget bout it...
or else, hg bleh tny kja part time rgrapher kt mana2 private hosp kt kb, kot2 diorg nk pkai part time staff. g.luck !!

Anonymous said...

plg rndah pn at least rm1500... 2pn spttnya master dgree rm2000 n above.
private sector mmg cm 2.. mana2 pn sama pis.. slalu offer rndah dr yg spttnya.
kta la kna pndai select yg btul2 b'baloi..

H said...

Thx for yr comment, dia still xmau naikkan gaji (dgn alasan aku temporary staff), kalau seribu pun aku sanggup, tp dia x mau jgk, so aku pun balik, sedih la jugak balik tadi, actually seronok keje situ dgn na, su, hj, tp gaji banyak tu, aku rasa mcm diprgunakan pulak.
Btw, It was a great 3 days working experience...Nak je aku cakap kat admin dia, baik upah kera je jd temporary lect :) Aku ajar tuiyen pun RM19 sejam
K**T can kiss my a**
Sekian terima kasih, puas hati

Anonymous said...

a'a, ye la.. ngajar tuisyen pn byr lg tggi. baik hg ajar tuisyen. aku njoy ngajar tuisyen, esp home tuition =)

Anonymous said...

Depends on what you want most. If you want to help, to the extend of volunteering your time and expertise for this bumi institution, money should not be the reason for quiting. Doing so will reflect on your lack of sincerity. If on the other hand, you value money more than contributing (there's nothing wrong to think this way, ok), then just go find some other better paying job.

H said...

Well said anonymous (thx for yr perspective and yr time reading), but there is no way to turn back time.
Sometimes I do feel regret for quiting Huhu