Tuesday, March 6, 2007

The 3 days are worthed

Yesterday was the last day of my job as a lecturer. Although short, it was a 3 valuable days.

On the morning of the third day, I met the ‘women in charge’ again. However she still persistent about the pay and added that they can re-scheme it only after 2 to 3 months evaluation. So I said, if that is the case, I have to leave. (I saw her a bit surprised; I think she never thought of that) She replied, hold on, go back to yr room, she will discuss it again with other executives and will let me know.

So, I went back to my room, with ray of hope. When my head of dept knew about my pay, he totally understands my situation (he live in the same area as mine) and agree with me on this.

After lunch, I went to my class to teach my only student who is recently registered, and we managed to finish the entire half semester lessons for the subject during the 2 hours plus 2 hours from the day before. In next week she can join the former student class, Im really happy for her. OK, I’d fulfilled my responsibility to the student, and I thought if the payment is stagnant I will leave.

When I returned to my room, my colleagues told me that the ‘person in charge’ is looking for me and asked them whether I’m still around. Look like she thought I’d left. So I went back to the office for the 2nd time.

This time she asked me to sit first (she is busy calculating RM50 notes, plenty of them), and said, “We can only afford to pay you that much and the reason is you’re a temporary staff”. (Ironic, I don’t think they can’t afford it; the execs are driving luxurious cars)
So I asked her, “What is the diff? Temporary or not, I think the work is still the same”. She didn’t answer. Then, I uttered, “I’m going to leave”.

And this time it’s for real. As I went out from the office, I came upon my student, and she greet me (thought of telling her about me leaving, but I think better she know it from others). Head back to my room, pack my stuffs, say farewell to my colleague and the dept head.
My head of dept tries to attain me with a joke; tell me that a girl just call him asking about me. Even if it is true, I won’t buy it LOL
He thinks the administrations don’t really think, he feels that although I’m a temporary stuff, I can give lots of contribution with the knowledge I have. I am touched, Thank God, I can hold my tears. Then he walk me to my car to say goodbye. Thank you

During the journey home, my eyes can’t stand anymore and tears keep running down my cheek. (blame the melancholy ‘coldplay’ tracks on the player) I feel really2 awful and sad for leaving; bcos I was happy working there, but with that much money it is not worth it.

That night, I doze early at 9pm. I was tired with the emotional rollercoaster.

During the 3 days Id observed the atmosphere of an academic institution from the academic staff perspective and how bureaucracy can affect an institution. It is a family business and almost all the important administration/execs position are blood related without real knowledge about management/ academic I guess. I think for an organization to bloom, it is better to hire ppls with knowledge, rather than the people we know.
I hope this will give the administration a lesson not to fool around the fresh grads, I think they see us naïve, immature and desperate for job, and they think they can easily take advantage on us. Well, in my case, I have an alternative and I don’t really need to be employed, that’s why I’m brave enough to demand. I think I wont do all these if I don’t hv any alternative, Alhamdulillah that’s not the case.

And today I need to let all these out, so that I can go back to my routine, but this time I want to spend it wisely, I just realized I may only hv few months left to enjoy what I have right now.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

apiss... jgn nangis =( xpala, at least hg dpt xperience jd lect kn??
aku rs private college suma sama... pkai kroni... gaji sket... kja byk...
what 2 do.. nk kja kjaan, org2 tua xpencen2... lg mau tmbh umo pencen... mau kja smpei mati ka??? mau mati ka???
hahaha, sori pis. aku emo sket =)

H said...

hahaha...aku dah ok, thx for yr concern...takpa2, aku pun nak tambah lg...erm betulla, goverment pun slow semacam, bising kata kat hospital x dak xpertice in radiation, tp x mau create jwtn yg diperlukan, duk ikut medical practice zaman tok nenek, tak namapak graduate belambak kat luar yg ada kelayakan, ni la akibatnya ambik pemimpin yg x berkelayakan!

Anonymous said...

sukung !!! sukung apiss !!!
apiss, tukarla hg jd pm.. aku vote hg, hehehe =p

H said...

LOL...aku jd PM camne, cakap kat depan pun ketar2 Hahaha

Anonymous said...

you cried? that was sooo you..hahahah

Good job you left. I told you, enjoy your free time while you still have it. Read as many books as possible. The first year here might be a little bit of relaxation but the following years might not let you read any other books than journals - I speak from experience, not mine, but my housemate. Rarely gets out of her room - writing up her thesis- and that's what she hass been doing for the whole year, all for her PhD. No time to enjoy - so just do it now..heheheh

H said...

Well, it is soo you 2 :P

Exactly what i thought u gonna say 'I told u so",

Yup, I know, PhD is about live sleep n eat journal :) Some say, PhD stands for Permanent head damage, Thats a bit exaggerating.
Actually, the first year is the year to start, full throttle.