Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Positive effect of global warming?

A survey of 315 fungi species conducted by Alan Gange at Royal Holloway, University of London, UK found that within just 50 years, many fungi have doubled the length of their breeding season from 33 days on average to 74 (according to Species). Fungi now reproduce twice a year, "Now the fungi grow, and with the rain in March they fruit and appear in April or May," he says.

In many respects, this dramatic change may have positive ecological effects, says Gange. "Mushrooms provide a huge food resource for insects, which themselves are food for birds," he says. Fungi also accelerate decomposition of wood and leaf matter, providing more soil nutrients for plants.



Journal Abstract
GANGE, A. C., GANGE, E. G., SPARKS, T. H. & BODDY, L. (2007) Rapid and Recent Changes in Fungal Fruiting Patterns. Science, 316, 71-.

News extracted from NewScientist Enviroment
Warming climate creates mountains of mushrooms

Erm, at least we can eat mushrooms when the global warming worsen. I love mushrooms!

My homemade mushroom pizza 10/5/2007


I know, its doesnt look that appetizing, :D, I learned the basics of western cooking from Jamie's, my cooking guru besides my M, his chop and throw technique is so cool, thats the reason my pizza doesn't look pretty, but I can assure you that it taste fantastic :D Hehe puji diri sendiri, but my D said so Hah

Observe the topping hv plenty of mushrooms, thx to the global warming. :P

2 comments:

zafi said...

hey
i know how to cook pizza
u should put mozarella on top!!!
mushrooms?
erm... i eat it but not frequent...hahha

H said...

I'm out of mozzarella, cheddar cheese pun bolehlah, haha