Sunday, November 4, 2007

3 weeks in Sutton

Id thought of not posting anymore, but it doesnt feel right, i need to reflect and recap, and writing is a good channel for fragmenting my thoughts and experiences. For my family and friends as well, to inform them that i am still the same hafiz three weeks before ;)

Where to start? Aha the place, Sutton aka London Borough of Sutton, although its in Surrey, it is still considered part of London, its a subUrb of London I guess. In Zone 6, the furthest zone from the central. Its nice here, basically filled with lots of houses, typical English houses, and tress, and wildlife hehe, seriously u can easily spot squirrels, pigeons, other birds that i never saw before, and foxes too! And their size is bigger than their family in Malaysia. The cats too are rather bigger. Probably bcos of the thicker fur. With that in mind, i hope i dont grow too much hair during my stay here hehe. Its cold here, and the weather is unpredictable. but anyway i somehow do like it, bcos its hard to become sweaty here, which is quite a problem for me before.

What else, the ICR. It is a nice place. I got two cards, one to access the hospital (the NHS) and the other for the institute, which is somehow cool! The peoples are nice, and extremely bright! and sometimes i do feel like, am i the only one stupid here? haha. Most of the students in my group have a very strong background in either physics and maths which is seriously intimidating. Thus, I guess i need to work twice as hard.

My supers, they are nice as well, extremely patience with my stupidity hehe. I think they are the most patient academics i ever met. seriously, even after three weeks im performing below par, on the weekly meeting, They are still calm and collected tackling on my weakness, and recommending more reading materials, so that i have a strong related science foundation to pursue on my research.

aha, my housmate, is a very nice guy, hail from switzerland and is very nice (did i repeat? hehe).So nice that, you might think that he is gay if he dont have a gf. He is an atheist, but anyway quite tolerant in dealing with all my 'no'. We do the veges, if we eat together, so there is no problem in the eating department. And his gf is an Indian livin in London, she stop by at our house like every weekend, and she is very nice as well, so i have the chance to feel like 'home', after weekdays spending time with the whites. Bcos of this east and west mix, my house does have curry, rice and not only bread. So its not that bad. Just that Ive to eat sandwiches for lunch at the institute, which left me feeling not so full. Cant imagine how they do that everyday. I bought my own food for lunch, bcos the only sandwich i can eat at the cafes is the cold cheese and tomate sandwich, which taste like yuks.

I havent been to the central London, Id planned to go there today, but I just realised this morning that I havent got my student oyster (a saving transport card for student), so I have to cancel the plan. And went to the town center instead, which have everything u need. Probably next week Ill visit it.

I think thats the major highlight for now. Thanks all for your care and concerns about my life here, Really terharu. And sorry for being idle and my apology for the delay on responding to yr msgs and emails and friendster's comments.

Have a great life everyone!

2 comments:

Rebecca Ilham said...

Salam.

I'm Afni's friend from the US. Hope you will keep on writing about your Sutton's experience!

Take care,
Becky.

H said...

Salam Becky,

Support from a writer, whoa thats too much ;) thx