Sunday, February 25, 2007

Job interview at a private college

This morning I d attend an interview session at a private college that reminds me of my matriculation college. Well it’s a typical bumi managed institution where everything is quite not so brand new. If u have an experience or know someone studying at the matriculation college or equivalent, u know what I mean. Well that’s not the point; it’s not that I’m going to live there, its just a workplace.

I arrivd a lil bit late, since the location is quite a surprise, well I’m not going to write about that either. But Alhamdulillah, the session didn’t start yet when I stepd in the Admin building.

Im the third person to be called in, I enterd the room (very nervous inside) but still manage to put the fake smile and confident bfor enter. Well as usual, none of the interviewers smile back, mayb mine is too phony : P. Shake hand with the interviewers and sit without being asked to, well I don’t think they will, then it will bcome awkward.

It starts with all the typical questions. I was confuse to use English/mother tongue, but then I convincd my self speaking Malay is safer in that situation. Then they realized im applying for a temp job, without much shock, they can accept the idea of temp job, that’s great! I don’t wanna lie about my commitment to USM.

Then they ask me the expected salary. I was quiet for few secs to think (my mind is screaming, how can I forget to think about ths in advance), then “1800 to 2000 considering my qualifications” came out frm my mouth. Well, the interviewers didn’t really respond, so to make things right, I said actually it depends on you. One of the interviewers came out with an idea of gvg me a probation salary of less than 1K, but I managed to suggest at least more than a K considering the distance between home and the college is quite far (money for transportatn).

Then she describd the role of the post im applying, which is to teach for up to 20 hours perweek, n ask what are the courses I can teach. Well, that’s not all, in addition, she askd me whether I’m willing to do other thing beside lecturg eg arranging chairs plus admin work as she had the experience of employee with masters degree don’t wanna do such works. (I still don’t understand the need for arraging chairs, mayb later I will). But, I managed to stay calm (cause I thought mayb its just a trick to gauge my personality), and answer whats appropriate. Then they came back to personal questions and the conversation eventually bcome informal. At the end, I realized she is from the northern region too, based on the dialect she speak at the closing stages of the intervws and she knows Seb Jaya my hometown pretty well)

The end of the session, a promise to call me in the near future. I hope it is not an empty promise, but a real offer. Cause, I don’t mind being a labor cum lecturer. Huhu really!, desperately need the experience :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you need experience that much? Just stay in your house and have fun before your life consists nothing but laboratory works and piles of journals to read. This is a seriously honest advice.

Anyway, I don;t know you have moved to blogspot.

H said...

erm, still hv time for journals really, and teaching can strengthen my foundation, learning with intention to teach is the best way of learning.
I also knew about yr blogspot just recently