Tuesday, February 12, 2008

when an Archbishop speaks on behalf of Islam...

I was watching the evening news last night, which is normally not my routine. Did that because I read an interesting headline on my personalized Google homepage about Dr Roman Williams' lecture on Islam in English Law. read more here

Anyways that news did upset somebody that is watching the news with me. She went totally mad with that idea, although she is neither Christian nor English. And started speaking nonsense IMO, saying that it is not realistic to have two set of laws in a country (i corrected it is not a dual law, but a sub law which governs only Muslims, as it is a need esp in Marriage etc) and then she speaks even more nonsense by saying 'if these people want such law they should just go live in Iraq or somewhere else.

"Daa, thats frm the Archbishop mouth himself!"
I didnt say that or anything after that, first I understand her nature being like that over small matter. (really admire her bf's patience) And I understand peoples have the wrong idea about Islamic law, straightaway they'll think about all these barbaric and male chauvinist we always see on media, which is unIslamic, wrongly practiced by some Muslim countries. Shame on us...

but anyways, i realize suddenly that my surrounding is now more 'biblical', this afternoon during a seminar, i overheard people at the back speaking about their Christian congregation back at home, i certainly never heard they speak on that topic.

I do admire Dr Rowan integrity and his depth understanding on Islam (you can read his speech on BBC news web). It shows that he did his research on Islam, because in my opinion even Muslims themselves are afraid to say the word Sharia because they themselves have the misconception on this law.

and I believe in this free-from-political-interference-country, the real values of Islamic Law can be uphold iA

2 comments:

Rebecca Ilham said...

We read a really powerful essay in lit class yesterday. One sentence that really caught me was: "Democracy would be perfect if people go for inclusion, instead on assimilation."
The context was on races and civil rights movement in the States back in the 70s, but I think it applies more obviously to Muslims minorities across the globe. It's not only the question of to be included by others, but also our own desire to include ourselves. Inclusion is better, I think, because assimilation somehow imposed the need to compromise faith and beliefs.

Erk..lari topik ke? Sorry, I'm catching up on Tariq Ramadan, and even tough I don't fully agree in everything he stands for, I don't really disagree either.

Take care.

H said...

yup, thx for the quote
I want to add another quote, frm Tariq Ramadan (he was quoted at length by William in his lect); 'these kind of statements just feed fears of fellow citizens and I really think we, as Muslims, need to... abide by the common law. And within these latitudes there are possibilities for us to be faithful to Islamic principles."

Tariq as a British possibly understand the situation better. And what he said does makes sense. But Dr Rowan's had took a huge step on promoting better understanding on other faith, among us in this plural society, somethg that rarely happens.

u too, take care